WINTER STORM SHIRLEY









 DALLAS????      















So you basically live under a rock if you didn't hear about the apocalypse that hit the state of Texas!!!  In case you missed it, catch up here.

I'll be the first to admit, we, Texans, are not prepared for harsh winter conditions!!!!  We typically don't know how to drive on ice or snow and the manpower to prep streets are not as prevalent like our friends up north.  Many residents' homes were not weatherized, some didn't protect their vehicles, others didn't stock up on groceries and supplies.  Texas weather is bi-polar so I can somewhat understand why people doubted the weather forecast.  I for one, didn't think conditions would be as bad as they were!  However, let me say anytime there's a potential weather threat, I, me, myself, makes a point to ensure I have non-perishable items, bottled water, and other necessities JUST IN CASE a threat turns to reality!  Yeah, I don't play about that...I gotta eat!!!!

Texas this is Shirley...Now Texas, I don't know how you're gonna take this but whether you be cool or come out of a bag on me..."


Shirley showed her complete ass and came in and wreck havoc!  She came in with a vengeance!  One of the many tragedies happened in the  wee hours of Thursday morning, February 11th.  Residents were met with record low temperatures compounded with freezing rain, sleet, and snow.  This combination proved deadly as  over 100 vehicles were involved in a massive pileup that claimed the lives of six people.





As if that wasn't enough, ERCOT(Electric Reliability Council of Texas) and Oncor uglass decided to turn off the lights!  There's no cute way to say it other than Texas faded to black!  And I think it's ironic that ERCOT has 'reliability' in its name because there was nothing reliable about the stunt pulled during Shirley!  I could have you pull up a chair and talk about Electric Grid Gate but I'll keep it to myself..  Read this article to learn more about how Texas leadership failed its constituents.  

Shirley and her man, ERCOT, left many of us cold and without water for days!!!  Over a MILLION Texas residents were without power for days!!!!!!!  I, personally, felt the harsh treatment of Shirley.  I was without electricity for at least 3 days in subzero temperatures!  It was torture! Blankets of ice and snow lined the roadways and prevented many from traveling to seek other means of shelter. Many Texans scrambled trying to find alternative lodging, food, and water.   Some lucked out, while others, like myself, tough it out at home praying and hoping for the best.  For many of us, our vehicles became heating stations.  Thank God I had bottled water to drink and quick meals like tuna and summer sausage to eat.  Layers of clothes, socks, jackets, coats, blankets, body heat, and boots is what I believe are responsible for my survival!  Thank God I didn't freeze! Unfortunately, that wasn't everyone's testimony.  There were many house fires and carbon monoxide incidents that resulted from families trying to find unconventional heating methods.

But wait there's more

We finally see the light...THE SUN!  We're no longer freezing, the snow and the ice is melting, electricity if restored for many of us, water is now on and running for a lot of us!  YAY...right!?  NO!  For many of us, busted pipes became a pain in the you know what!!!  Busted pipes caused incredible amounts of flooding that destroyed many of our homes and property.  Many were under boil notices!  IT was crazy ya'll!  


Recounting these events is proving to be exhausting, read more here or Google the devastation we experienced during Storm Shirley.  I'm tired and haven't made a dent in the madness that was Winter Storm Shirley!!  There are countless numbers of stories out there of survival and challenges.  What I take away from this experience is that I am strong and resilient!  Whenever faced with trouble or hardship, I like to comb through the rumble and discover what I can salvage...in other words, I ask myself, "what are the takeaways?"  Well, I learned that I need to invest in equipment that allows the continuity of a certain quality of life....i.e, heating, lighting, and cooling sources.  And I could also used more real winter attire and I'm so down for a shopping trip!

If you can, please continue to pray for the victims of Winter Storm Shirley.  Many of us are still dealing with the devastation and aftermath of this storm!  

Comments

  1. Girl that bish Shirley had me shooketh! Even though I was slightly traumatized by Shirley, I enjoyed this recount of events with the tongue in cheek humor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts